Rescued Dog Bitten Three Times By Venomous Snake While Saving Seven-Year-Old Girl
A rescued dog who was trying to save a seven-year-old girl was bitten three times by a venomous rattle snake, damaging his kidneys.
According to reports, Molly DeLuca and the German shepherd, Haus, were playing when the eastern diamondback rattlesnake tried to attack them both.
"She saw him jump back, and go forward, and jump back and go forward," Molly's mother Donya DeLuca told Fox 13.
"He was just, kind of, holding his ground. Next thing we know is there's blood and he was limping and crying," added DeLuca.
The deadly and aggressive eastern diamondback rattlesnake is the largest venomous snake in North America, usually spotted in Southern North Carolina to Florida where the DeLucas live.
National Geographic noted that diamondback venom is "a potent hemotoxin that kills red blood cells and causes tissue damage." Bites are extremely painful and can be fatal if not given medical attention immediately.
Haus, who was adopted by the family two months ago, is currently being treated monitored by Veterinarians at Tampa's Blue Pearl Emergency Veterinary and Specialty Hospital.
"Without the pain medication, he's in pain. He's responsive, he's alert, and his leg is swollen and uncomfortable," Dr. John Gicking who is taking care of the dog told Associated Press.
A day in the ICU costs between $1000 to $1500, and each vial of anti-venom costs $618. Haus is averaging 4 or 5 vials per day as the poison leaves his system, AP noted.
— Jenn Jacques (@JennJacques) May 13, 2016
To return the favor, Haus's owners created a crowd sourcing fund to help the family pay for the medications that Haus needs to survive. SaveHaus, has already accumulated $52,549 donations within four days.
Poor Haus! The German shepherd jumped between this 7-year-old girl and a rattlesnake https://t.co/6iCud1eXQQhttps://t.co/ko5CfmJEJR — USA TODAY (@USATODAY) May 14, 2016